- 200G COLD UNSALTED BUTTER, CHOPPED
- 1 CUP (175G) BROWN SUGAR
- ¾ CUP (165G) WHITE (GRANULATED) SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
- 2 TABLESPOONS MILK
- 1 EGG
- 2 CUPS (300G) PLAIN (ALL-PURPOSE) FLOUR
- ¼ TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
- ¼ TEASPOON BICARBONATE OF (BAKING) SODA
- ¼ TEASPOON TABLE SALT
- 300G DARK CHOCOLATE, CHOPPED
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the butter and both the sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on low speed until just combined. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 8 minutes or until pale and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla, milk and egg and beat for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt and beat until combined. Add the chocolate and stir to combine. Roll heaped tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place on lightly greased baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper+. Bake for 12–14 minutes or until golden brown++. Allow to cool on the trays for 5 minutes before transferring onto wire racks to cool. Makes 22
+ Leave 2–3cm between each ball of cookie dough to allow for spreading in the oven.
++ Cookies should be golden around the edges with even colouring on the base when they’re ready.
TIP If you’re baking more than one tray of cookies at a time, swap their shelf positions in the oven halfway through cooking time to ensure even colouring.